If ever there were a year for #GirlPolitics, 2017 is it. Here is my #HuffPost how-to for this year –and probably many to come! If you’re looking for more, check-out @RebeccaSive, where I post lots of others’ exemplary work.
Crain’s Chicago Business kicked-off 2017 with an exploration of #GirlPolitics superstar, Lori Lightfoot and her role in changing Chicago’s future. I comment on what it took.
WCIU You and Me began one January day with a segment on tips for getting involved in your community, including running for office, which featured lessons from Every Day Is Election Day, along with some fun photos of the book’s stars, including Lisa Madigan, Toni Preckwinkle, and Barbara Flynn Currie. (A shout-out to Melissa Forman and Dr. Ian Smith, who were both such thoughtful and friendly hosts.)
I appeared again on February 16th, talking about #ShePersisted, grass roots approaches to creating your own better neighborhood and family future.
WYCC’s In the Loop devoted a show to #breakingtheglassceiling, whether in business, politics, or your community. Here, I discuss.
#POTUS2016 IS A GREAT CONTEXT IN WHICH TO EXPLORE THE ISSUES OF WOMEN IN POLITICS, PUBLIC POLICY, AND PUBLIC LEADERSHIP. BELOW ARE CLIPS AND TAPE THAT EXPLORE THESE ISSUES.
“Sex, lies and videotape” was the topic at WTTW-PBS Chicago Tonight. This one is a go -at-it with a (female) Donald Trump acolyte.
@CarletonCollege hosted a webinar: “Women in public leadership: what difference does it make?” No surprise, post-Election Day 2016: participants agree there is lots to do!
Every day is Election Day, as November 8th, 2016 rapidly approached. Fox News asked me to share my views on the challenges for the candidates. (A second time, the day after Election Day, a [young female] Donald Trump supporter and I agreed to disagree.)
@21stShow, from Illinois Public Media, hits the high points on politics and women:
“The originator of the #GirlPolitics hashtag…on How women are treated in politics,” (the week before Election Day)!
#POTUS2016, and its implications for every woman who will seek public office, is profound. I discuss the issues here with @wbezsarabia on @WBEZ.
“Some Illinois women worry about the message Donald Trump sends,” writes the Chicago Tribune. I noted the ongoing challenges for young women who so often juggle family, work, and civic responsibilities, as they also dream of running for office.
The significance and importance of women in politics, always and all ways: @JustinKaufmann, of @WGNRadio, and I discuss here. Subsequently, we continued the discussion in another show about the 2016 presidential election.
That vice-presidential pick: see here for my discussion about @HillaryClinton choices, on PBS Chicago, WTTW. “96 years after women’s suffrage, a woman is the POTUS candidate for a major political party.”
Live from the Heartland is hosted by longtime Chicago activists and each week features insightful stories about Chicago politics. I guested on one program where the topic was women’s engagement in national politics on the occasion of Women’s Equality Day (the day U.S. women were granted suffrage.)
Utne Reader excerpts Every Day Is Election Day: Political personality, a woman’s guide on how to win a campaign.
“What are some of the things Hillary Clinton has done well up to this point and how can she put herself in the best position to win?“Click to watch the interview with the Institute of Politics at UChicago.
“It’s finally official: Hillary Clinton is running for president. So how will her personality, her background and her position as a prominent woman factor into the race?” Listen to this Harris School of Public Policy podcast.
“What can women do to increase their ranks as elected officials?” Click to watch this interview from Chicago Tonight.
FIND MY COLUMNS FOR THE HUFFINGTON POST HERE.
I’VE WRITTEN FOR CRAIN’S CHICAGO BUSINESS HERE:
- Here’s where to aim the hammer to shatter the glass ceiling
- Women execs can take lesson from those in public service
- How to put Chicago on path to prosperity? Put women first
- Here’s how female candidates for local office should be evaluated
HERE IS MY SERIES FOR RH REALITY CHECK ON WOMEN’S REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS.
SELECTED MEDIA FOR EVERY DAY IS ELECTION DAY: A WOMAN’S GUIDE, & SOME TAKES OF MINE ON WOMEN’S POLITICAL LEADERSHIP AND PUBLIC INFLUENCE:
- Live from the Heartland |WLUW FM 88.7 | Women’s Suffrage and #GirlPolitics 2016
- Huffington Post Women and GlassCeiling.com | Political Activist Rebecca Sive: Every Day Is Election Day
- WBEZ/NPR Chicago affiliate | Remembering Chicago Mayor Harold Washington
- CBS Minnesota News and Views | Women’s Equality Day interview with Rebecca Sive, 2015 and 2016
- Frontiers Journal of Women’s Studies | The Feminine Mystique at 50
- MSNBC | Why women were the real midterm winners
- Feminist.com | 2015: The Year of Business Women Gaining Public Power
- The Hill | Lessons for future women candidates from Warren v. Clinton
- CSPAN Book TV and Politics & Prose | Every Day Is Election Day
- Women’s eNews | 7 Strategies for Stepping Up Our Political Women
- Cosmopolitan | Can this 35 year-old math teacher become the youngest member of the Senate
- The Hill | “Author to women: ‘Every Day Is Election Day‘” by Judy Kurtz
- WBEZ (NPR Chicago)| The Life and Legacy of Judy Baar Topinka
- Yahoo Finance | Eileen Fisher, Inc. All Store Event Celebrates Women, and features sale of Every Day Is Election Day (also in Reuters, U.S. edition and elsewhere)
- WTTW PBS Chicago | Gearing up for 2016
- Politico magazine | Why So Few Women in Politics? Ask Sandra Fluke
- MTV ACT | How to be the best leader ever
- HuffPost Women | Beach reads: 8 Women-Focused Must-Reads for Your Summer List
- RedEye: Here’s What Chicago Was Reading, Buying in 2013 | Are you stacked?
- bSMART Women’s Network | Author Rebecca Sive Tells Female Leaders How to Win Any Office
- bSMART Women’s Network | Six Rules to Becoming a Leader and Winning Any Office
- NPR KUOW | Women in Politics Are Always Running
- NPR WAMC 51% | The Women’s Perspective Show #1261
- NPR WBEZ Chicago | “Female Image in politics: how much does it really matter?”
- Newsday | Gillibrand boosts profile, raising money from women
- Lilith magazine | Winning Any Office (Or Male-Dominated Environment)
- The Seattle Times | Politics and the other ‘f’ word
- PBS WTTW Chicago Tonight | Every Day Is Election Day
- Jewish Woman | “Rebecca Sive Writes Woman’s Guide to Achieving Political Office
- Publisher’s Weekly | Every Day Is Election Day
- Chicago Tribune | Are women in politics more honest? Clarence Page column
- Women’s Media Center Live with Robin Morgan | Interview
- HuffPost Live | Meet the New Class, hosted by Abby Huntsman
- HuffPost Live | No More Women on Top, hosted by Abby Huntsman
- Kirkus Reviews | Every Day Is Election Day
FIND MY TODAY’S CHICAGO WOMAN|CHICAGO NOW COLUMNS HERE.
SOME COVERAGE OF EVERY DAY IS ELECTION DAY: A WOMEN’S GUIDE.
- San Diego Free Press | For California Women Who Dream of Political Leadership and Power: Some Rules of the Road, also published in The Huffington Post Los Angeles
- Institute of Politics: Interview about the presidential prospects of Hillary Clinton
- The Jewish Sound | Books in Brief: Our Little Known History
- ProgressWomen | Book to Read: Every Day Is Election Day
- Windy City Times | Political Powerhouse Rebecca Sive on the GOP, Women’s Rights
- Chicago Defender | Women Authors Discuss Sex, Politics & Money with Christie Hefner, also appeared in the Atlanta Daily World
- JUF News | Jewish Women’s Power Lunch Set for March 6
- Seattle Weekly News and Events | “The Pick List: The Week’s Recommended Events”
- Chicago Sun-Times | Veteran political pro Rebecca Sive’s new book boosts women in government
- Crain’s Chicago Business | Taking Names feature re: Every Day Is Election Day: “Lori Healey, Anne Burke and flappers between the covers”
- Bust Magazine | book review
- DC Spotlight | Books to Know Top 10 October 2013
- FamousDC | Friday Roundup
- New Jersey Jewish News | Activist, author urges women to lean in to politics
- 1450 WCTC The Voice of Central New Jersey | Bert Baron Interview
- NPR WBEZ Chicago | “Weiner scandal puts wife Huma Abedin under harsh light”
- NPR WBEZ Chicago | “The Feminine Mystique Turns 50 Years Old, How Much Progress Have We Really Made?”
- NPR Wisconsin Public Radio | Women in Politics, Jail Alternatives, Apple TV
- New Jersey Sentinel | Author Inspired by ‘Women and Politics’
- Seattle Times | Literary Events for the Fall 2013
- The Washington Post | Going Out Guide
- bSMART Women’s Network | Inspiring Resources for Women
- She’s With Me: A Feminist’s Survival Guide to Seattle | Town Hall: Rebecca Sive
- The Delta Statement | Author Rebecca Sive Comes to DSU
- Auntie’s Gems | Sphere of Influence: TABOO
- Capitol Quickies| Conversation about women’s campaigns and leadership
- CBS Minnesota WCCO | “News and Views with Roshini Rajkumar”
- DCist News Blog | Politics and Prose Book Talk
- The Elliot Bay Book Company | “The Signature of All Things” Book Signing With Rebecca Sive
- Evanston Patch | Jewish Women in Politics Share How to Make Your Voice Heard
- Gambit Best of New Orleans | Discussion and book signing
- Girl w/ Pen | Women Employed 40th Anniversary Panel Discussion
- Gapers’ Block | Calling All Lady Leaders: Women in Politics Panel @ Harold Washington Library Center
- Holland Sentinel | GVSU hosts women in politics workshop
- Jackson Free Press | Lemuria Books Hosts Every Day Is Election Day book signing
- KPTR 1450 AM | California Woman 411 radio show
- K-Street Magazine | Politics and Prose book talk
- Laurie Abkemeier | Inside the Author’s Studio
- National Council of State Legislators Newsletter
- Publicola | Women in Politics Chat with Rebecca Sive
- Rowan Radio The Women’s Room | Every Day Is Election Day
- San Diego City Beat
- Seattle Lesbian | Women In Politics: Seattle Town Hall to Host Leaders
- Seattle Weekly | Picks of the Week
- St. Charles Herald Guide Parish News | “You’ve Got to Read This!” September 12th
- Take Betsy With You Blog | Politics and Prose, Comet, Barcode, Lincoln Restaurants, Sam and Harry’s DC
- The Sentinel | Author to discuss politics
- The Stranger | Seattle Town Hall Talk by Rebecca on November 20th
- TeenTix.org | Rebecca Sive: A Women’s Guide to Winning Any Office
- UK Women and Politics | US: Ginsburg: Female justices no ‘shrinking violets’
- West Michigan Woman Magazine | Ready to Run Michigan
- WGVU Broadcasting | Ready to Run with Keynote Speaker, Rebecca Sive, Hosted by Shelley Irwin
- Women’s Legislative Network | Newsletter Spring-Summer 2013
- Washington City Paper | Politics and Prose event
- WYCC PBS Chicago | Women in Politics
- Washington Women’s Foundation | Every Day Is Election Day: Catching Up with Rebecca Sive